Saturday, October 10, 2009

Pure Gold Marmalade


This is my own secret recipe, so shhhhhh.
Keep the secret and make it for yourself.
One taste of this and you will know why it's called pure gold.
If you sold it, you would make pure gold!


~

Pure Gold Marmalade


You will need oranges, lemons, mangoes, peaches and passion fruit.


Now, you can do this however you want, but this is what I do: take 4 whole oranges and 1 whole lemon.


Grind up 2 of the oranges and the lemon in a food processor until finely minced.


Next take the 2 remaining oranges and peel them, discarding peel. Add the peeled oranges to the finely minced orange/lemon.


Next finely mince 4 cups of peaches in the food processor. I used frozen peaches from this summer's bounty.


Then the secret ingredients: Goya frozen fruit puree. This time I used 1 thawed bag of mango and 1 thawed bag of passion fruit.


You can use any amount of the above fruit you want. Mix it up!


I ended up with 12 cups of fruit pulp. With a traditional marmalade recipe you would add 12 cups of sugar to this amount of fruit pulp!


12 cups?!? No way I'm doing that!






I added half the sugar.

So 12 cups fruit pulp = 6 cups sugar

Stir pulp and sugar over med. heat in a large pot until the sugar dissolves.

Then bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.

Cook rapidly almost to the gelling point.

As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking.

This is going to take a while.

Like an hour.

Now if you what it to thicken quicker - add more sugar.




When it is thickened-

Remove from heat.

Skim foam, if necessary.

Ladle hot marmalade into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.

Adjust 2 piece caps.

Process 10 mins. in a boiling water canner.

8 comments:

  1. Oh...I will have to try your recipe! The past few weeks I have been busy canning apple and pumpkin butter.

    Welcome to the foodie blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW... that looks and sounds soooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never canned anything before, but this makes me want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I can get passion fruit here, but I'll definitely try making this marmalade this summer. It looks sooooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ap269 - I use frozen passion fruit puree from the "ethnic" section of my grocer's freezer. It's very cheap - like $2 - considering how difficult it would be to get fresh passion fruit here!
    The smell is just sooo amazing though! Very worth the effort to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be easier to find fresh passion fruit here than fruit puree (if at all), I think. Germany is not really into selling fruit purees :-(.

    ReplyDelete