Saturday, October 3, 2009

Pear Chutney

My mother and I love Indian food.
It probably has something to do with the fact that my great-great grandmother was (supposedly) from India.
She married my Scottish great-great grandfather and emigrated to New Zealand.
However, I have seen pictures of her and she looks, ummm..... very British.
That's Ok.
We still love Indian food.
It's the complexity of flavors that I love.
The layering of sweet, sour, salt and probably some of that umami (or whatever).
The buttery feeling of the sauce and the spices, oh the spices!!
Yum!
Ok, so here is a recipe for Pear Chutney.
My mother and I had a chutney taste off last week.
She won with her tomato based chutney, but I still like mine.
Her flavors were just more mature and melded better.
Some day, I too will make perfect chutney!
Pear Chutney

1 cup chopped onion, 2 dried chilies, 2 Tbs candied ginger chopped.
Sauteed in 2 Tbs olive oil for about 5 min. until onion is golden/translucent.


1 cup finely chopped green chile - about 2 or 3 chilies
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup fruit juice
1 clove garlic minced
2 tsp salt
4 Tbs mustard seeds
1/2 tsp curry powder
Saute for a few minutes.

Add 5 cups vinegar and 4 quarts chopped pears - about 20 med. peeled/cored pears.
Simmer until thick.
This can take up to 3 hours,
so be prepared.



Thick pear chutney.
Ladle hot chutney into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
Remove air bubbles.
Adjust 2 piece caps.
Process 10 mins. in a boiling water canner.




Yummy!
Good with a sharp white cheese on
toasted bread.




No comments:

Post a Comment