Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pumpkin Waffles - Vote For Me!

This month's challenge, on The Leftover Queen's Royal Foodie Joust, is to use orange, black and sugar.
So, Orange: pumpkin or squash - Black: Dark ale or cola - Sugar
I have to be honest, before this recipe I'd never bought beer.
I know nothing about beer.
At first it was a struggle to think of a recipe that used pumpkin, beer and sugar.
But then I thought of pumpkin waffles.
After that, the only thing left to do was to buy the beer.
Whew! Who knew that there were soooo many types of beer?
I stood in front of the cooler for a long time.
Finally, the clerk asked me if I needed help.
"Yes! Do you have any dark beer? Besides Guinness?"
"Ummmm, noooo. Just Guinness."
Ok then. Out of a million types of beer I went home with the only dark beer - Guinness.
Now to the recipe!





Perfect Pumpkin Waffles

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup oatmeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1 1/2 cups pumpkin (canned or cooked)
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
6 Tbs. butter, melted
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk with 1 Tbs lemon juice added)
1/2 cup dark beer

Mix together in a large bowl dry ingredients. Stir in Pumpkin, butter, brown sugar and eggs.
Add milk and beer, mix until thoroughly blended.
Scoop batter into a preheated waffle iron.
Bake until waffles are golden brown.
Serve with butter and warm maple syrup.

I made oat flour by grinding whole oats in my mini food processor.

All of the ingredients.
Look at those bright orange yolks!
Thanks for the eggs Ladies.




I made the buttermilk by adding 1 Tbs. bottle lime juice to 2% milk.
Then let it stand for a few mins. and add the beer.
Why do you even need to use buttermilk?
The acidic buttermilk reacts with the baking soda/baking powder and results in lighter waffles with a higher rise. Have you ever made a baking soda/vinegar volcano? Same idea - poof!



I threw a few chocolate chips into the batter.




Nice and golden.







What do they taste like?
Well, do you like pumpkin bread or cake?
They taste just like that.
However, because there isn't as much flour they don't taste starchy, the spicy pumpkin flavor can really shine through.
Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
And they re-heat well too.
Just follow the same refrig or freezing directions
as I used for the In a Hurry Pancakes.
I served mine with home-made cinnamon butter.


Now, how can you vote for me?
Well, on Nov. 1st The Leftover Queen Forum will start voting on every one's recipes.
Please vote for me!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my... these look so good, wish I had some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I love pumpkin waffles and was actually thinking about making some with my extra pumpkin puree from the flan. Thanks for the comment and you should give flan another try sometime, it was very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I am really impressed that you found such an awesome use for the beer, even though it was out of the norm for your kitchen. Thanks so much for participating! It is great to have you in the Joust this month!

    ReplyDelete