Monday, January 25, 2010

Rosemary Focaccia

Rosemary Foccacia
Dough: 1 1/3 cups lightly packed cooked potato
1 1/2 tsp rapid rise yeast
31/2 cups flour
1 cup warm water
2 Tbs olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
~
Toppings: 2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs fresh rosemary
1/4 tsp coarse sea salt or kosher salt
(make sure you use coarse salt - reg. salt will melt into your dough-I speak from experience - trust me, it's weird tasting - use coarse salt)
~


It doesn't look like much, but this is the best foccacia bread ever. Actually, this is the only foccacia bread I've ever made. If you have the best recipe, why try another?
I've been making this for years, probably since I was 12. It's very popular at parties.

~

In a large bowl mix together yeast, 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Set aside until bubbly, about 20 mins. Add remaining dough ingredients, including potato. Mix until dough is smooth and elastic-about 5 mins.

~

Transfer dough to lightly oiled bowl and cover. Allow to rise until doubled in size - about 1 hour.

~

With wet hands (to prevent sticking) press dough into well oiled jelly roll pan. I like the crispy edge pieces best, so I make 2 10x6 rectangles in the pan. Cover and let rise for 1 hour, until puffy.

~

Preheat oven to 423F degrees. With wet fingers gently press dimples into dough. The dimples hold the delicious toppings.

~

Drizzle with olive oil - more is better. Sprinkle with salt and rosemary.

~

Bake for 23-25 mins. Until crispy and golden brown.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness... I ♥ Bread! I am gonna have to make this, looks very good!

    ReplyDelete