Monday, January 25, 2010

Bouillon d’oignon with Potato Cutouts

Bouillon d'oignon or onion broth. This was so delicious!
There really isn't a recipe for this.
I think it will turn out differently every time I make it, but here is how I made it this time.
First I took onions (from my garden).

Sliced the tops off of them and sliced them into flowers.
I didn't cut all the way through the root ends.
Then I placed the onions on a well greased cookie sheet and broiled the onions until they were charred on top.




Then I roasted the onions at 450F degrees, until the onions were soft and caramelized.



Then I popped the whole shebang into the food processor and whizzed the onions up.
Then I put the onions, 3 1/2 quarts water, 1 large whole carrot, 1 stick of celery, 2 bay leaves, some smoke flavor, some vegetarian "beef" bullion, a pkg of Knorr's veg. soup mix, thyme and some garlic puree.
I boiled it all gently for an hour.
Then I used a cheese cloth to strain all of the onion, ect. out of the broth.






The broth was dark and rich.



To make the potato cutouts: Take raw potato and slice it 1/2 inch thick.
With a small cookie cutter cut out shapes.
Toss with olive oil, salt, paprika and pepper.
Bake at 450F degrees for 10 mins until puffy.
Place on top of hot soup and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment