Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rhubarb Soup

*Sorry about the photo quality. I dropped my camera, broke it and had to borrow my dad's Kodak.*
Rhubarb Soup
Nope you didn't misread that! It's soup with rhubarb AND it's delicious. Really. I had 4 servings and everyone else had seconds - :P
This is my adaption of the Spring Pottage Recipe from this article in the Grit magazine : Sweet and Savory Recipes for Rhubarb. This is a great article with lots of interesting facts about rhubarb.
~
Rhubarb is a leafy green vegetable like celery or swiss chard, but in 1947 the U.S. Customs Court passed a ruling that rhubarb should be classified as a fruit and forever after rhubarb was eaten with pounds of sugar.
This recipe uses the tartness of rhubarb instead of covering it up with sugar.
It adds a touch of citric acid without the danger of curdling the cream.
Just remember, the ancient Chinese used rhubarb as a purgative. Don't say I didn't warn you!
Rhubarb Soup
2 Tbs olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
2 cups potatoes - cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup carrots - cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cups celery - cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cups diced rhubarb - soaked in salt water before using
2 tsp roasted garlic paste
2 Tbs honey
4 cups hot vegetable stock (*cheater's recipe below)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp sweet marjoram
salt and pepper
1 cup heavy cream
Saute onion in olive oil until golden. Add vegetable broth, potatoes, carrots, garlic paste, honey and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender. Add celery and rhubarb, simmer for 2-3 mins. Add marjoram, salt and pepper. Remove and discard bay leaves bay leaves. Remove soup from heat and gently stir in cream. Serve.
Cheater's Vegetable Stock
1 pkg Knorr Vegetable Soup
1/2 cup white wine
2 Tbs golden miso
2 tsp soy sauce
4 cups water
Fresh rhubarb from my garden. Since moving into my house, this is the first time in 5 years that I have harvested any rhubarb. Or eaten any rhubarb.







Chopping rhubarb










Soaking rhubarb in salt water






Sauteing onion







Simmering soup

Almost ready!




Adding cream.

Yum!

This is sooooo tasty!


My Mom hates rhubarb and she even had seconds!
This is the best rhubarb recipe ever and it can make a rhubarb hater a rhubarb lover.



1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, I can't wait to try this recipe! I'm going to be making a mostarda with some of my rhubarb this week; I'm super curious about experimenting with it in a savory capacity.

    ReplyDelete