Sunday, March 14, 2010

Daring Cook's Challenge - Risotto

Blog check in line:
The 2010 March Daring Cooks challenge was hosted by Eleanor of MelbournefoodGeek and Jess of Jessthebaker. They chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make risotto. The various components of their challenge recipe are based on input from the Australian Masterchef cookbook and the cookbook Moorish by Greg Malouf.


First we had to make our own stock. The recipe called for chicken stock.
But you probably all know how I feel about that!
No ladies in my soup, thanks very much!
I used the same recipe here that I used to make the soup for the Potato Dinner Party.

Roasted onions, carrots, celery, cabbage, bay leaves, garlic paste, basil, thyme, miso and water.
I used about 3 quarts of water.


Brought everything to a boil.
Let it simmer.
When the carrot was soft, I tasted the stock and adjusted the flavors.



Then I strained the stock.
I had 2 quarts and 1 1/2 pints of stock.




Ingredients for risotto.
I had a little bit of trouble making this, because the rice was vacuum sealed.
Which is weird for me, but I suppose it keeps the rice fresh.


Saute onion.





Add rice and 3ml wine.



1 quart stock.
Stir, stir, boil.



Add 2nd quart of stock.
Repeat stir, stir, boil.





Done!





It was OK.

But I really liked it the next day.

I fried 2 cups of risotto in a little butter, added 2 of the Ladies' eggs and some frozen mixed vegetables.

That was good.

4 comments:

  1. That risotto looks so creamy and scrumptiously luscious. And great to hear it was so much better the next day that is great to hear. And the veggie stock looks so flavoursome such a dark colour and you got so much. Lovely step-by-step photo series which makes is so easy to understand the process. Well done on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thought when I opened my risotto rice box: why is it vacuum sealed???? I've never made risotto before, so that was really new to me. Anyway, good job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your veggie stock looks amazing. Mine was a little bland, I think I am going to have to try yours next time! Your "leftovers" recipe sounds like something I am going to have to try, too!!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, 'it's just ok' is often my reaction to risotto! Which is so funny because many consider it to be pretty amazing food. I think it has to be the dead of winter for me to really love it. :)

    ReplyDelete