Friday, March 19, 2010

Can Jam March - Allium

The third Can Jam challenge of the year was allium.
I was happy, because I have lots of garlic left over from last year's garden .
I also had 2 Copra onions from last year's garden that I was saving for something special.
Something special like Onion Garlic Jam!
This is seriously good stuff.
When I'm cooking something and I really like it, this is what I say to myself, "Mmmm, oh yeah. This is some seriously good stuff. I'll just try a little more."
Onion Garlic Jam
4 cups cooked garlic/onion puree -For texture if desired, reserve 1 cup onions cooked, but unpureed
4 cups brown sugar
3 cups vinegar
2 Tbs salt
1 pkg no sugar needed pectin
Variety of home grown garlic.

Garlic bulbs ready for roasting in a 400F degree oven, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt.



My 2 normal large sized onions and a JUMBO onion from the grocery store.
It was huge!




Slicing up a Copra onion. It is amazing how well these onions store through the winter. This onion is over 6 months old.



More onion slicing.





Cooking the onion slices with a little butter and salt.
The salt breaks the cell walls in the onions and helps them release more water.
Less water = more onion flavored jam.





Roasted garlic ready for pureeing.









All the ingredients in the pot ready to be boiled up.






Bring everything to a boil and then add pectin.
Return to a boil and continue cooking for 1 min at a rolling boil that can't be stirred down.
I cooked mine for about 5 mins at a rolling boil, because I wanted a very firm jam.


Pectin added - reboiling.




Pour into sterilized jars and adjust 2 piece tops.
Process in a boiling water bath canner for 15 mins.




This post to me a ridiculously long time to write, because I have a new fur baby distraction.
Tansy!




I also worked 7 out of the last 8 days..........my one day off? I made jam! LOL













3 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds awesome! I like that it looks a bit 'chunkier' than other garlic jams/jellies I have seen. Yum!
    Oh, and the new bunny is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the bunny is sooooo cute! Which breed is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. meg- Thanks!

    ap269 - I think whe is a mixed breed, but I don't know what breeds. Maybe, snugglecuddlebunny breed! LOL

    ReplyDelete